[Rd] trellis.device in .First (PR#6812)

deepayan at stat.wisc.edu deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 23 04:41:59 CEST 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 19:31, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:29:18 +0200 (CEST), rmh at temple.edu wrote:
> >1. The new one.
> >
> >When I include
> > trellis.device()
> >in my .First, Rterm 1.8.1 run in ESS happily opens a device.
> >
> >Rterm 1.9.0 doesn't.  It gives the following message instead:
> >>   [Previously saved workspace restored]
> >>
> >>   Error in get(x, envir, mode, inherits) : variable "windows" was
> >> not found
>
> Sounds like lattice needs to import windows.  (In 1.8.1 windows() was
> in base, so it would have automatically been available in .First.)

How do I do that ? windows is not available in all platforms, and on the
one I use,

importFrom(graphics, windows)

leads to (during R INSTALL):

Error in importIntoEnv(impenv, impnames, ns, impvars) :
        object(s) 'windows' are not exported by 'namespace;graphics'

Is Rich's usage valid under 1.9.0 ? I presume replacing trellis.device()
by windows() will give the same error. Or are all lattice functions
expected to work after a require(lattice) is included in .First ?

Deepayan