[Rd] Bugs compiling R-1.7.1 with Intel compilers icc and ifc (PR#4295)

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Sep 26 21:28:51 MEST 2003

> On Thursday, Sep 25, 2003, at 05:26 US/Eastern, CanisMaior at web.de wrote:
>> Bugs compiling R-1.7.1 with Intel compilers icc and ifc,
>> on x86-computer (Pentium IV) and linux operating system
>>

> Many of those bugs can be fixed by using appropriate configure options.
> Some of the warnings are serious, but they quite a few of them or fixed
> yesterday.

>> 2) delete a wrong path in some Makefiles:
>> -L/usr/local/lib"
>> The quotation mark is the wrong thing. Delete it!
>>

> The problem is in the AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS macro. It guesses the
> linker flags by passing a verbose option (-v for ifc) to the compiler.
> For ifc this produces a multiline output, one line continued to the
> together produces the wrong results. We can fix this by removing all \
> and " from the variable ac_f77_v_output in that macro. I am not sure
> if this breaks anything in other compilers.

Yep, the problem is the "-mGLOB_options_string=......" one gets, and
AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS() cannot handle this.  I tend to avoid
overloading stuff from Autoconf (and am not a fan of unconditionally
removing double quotes either), and we have a macro for postprocessing
the AC_F77_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS results anyways.  I've added

    -[a-zA-Z]/*\" | -[a-zA-Z]*\\) # ifc
      ;;

to this, which worked on the system I tried.  Can people with ifc pls
try again?

Also, it would be nice if someone could donate a few lines on using the
Intel compilers for R-admin.

Thanks,
-k