[Rd] Feature freeze + beta version

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Sep 24 15:30:14 MEST 2003

The release countdown for R 1.8.0 has now entered the beta phase.
Apart from a change of name of the daily snapshots, this means that
there we are now in feature freeze, i.e. we will not add features or
change the API from now on. We will try to fix bugs and documentation
errors though. The same thing is assumed for the group of recommended
packages that we ship with the release. Code freeze is scheduled for
next Wednesday.

The beta versions are available from

http://cran.us.r-project.org/src/base/R-1.8.0beta_2003-09-24.tar.gz

and so forth. Like the alpha releases, they are created automatically
at 5am local Wisconsin time. (The first one was done manually, a bit
later, since yesterday's local events caused some disruption of
plans...)