[Rd] Problem building methods package?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 14 09:23:52 MEST 2003

methods changed to use a NAMESPACE about last weekend.  It does build now
(there were several days with problems), but you will need to rebuild it
from scratch.  Either do make distclean; ./configure ...  or at least
remove library/methods and src/library/methods/all.R and remake.

(And since I have been in Milan working with Stefano, I know it now builds
on MacOS X too.)

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Byron Ellis wrote:

> For the last, I dunno, week or so I've been unable to build R... I
> finally took the time to investigate and the crash is in building
> 'methods':
>
> all.R is unchanged
> ../../../library/methods/man/methods.Rd is unchanged
> make[2]: `Makedeps' is up to date.
> ../../../../library/methods/libs/methods.so is unchanged
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `Rfiles'.

No `crash' shown!

> Any clues to where this came from? Regenerating the Makefiles didn't
> seem to help. OS X, 10.2.6, gcc3.3 rsync about 6 hours old. Should I
> just nuke the whole build tree and rsync everything again?

If you build in a separate tree the last step is never needed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk