[Rd] namespaces and S4 methods/classes

Ross Ihaka ihaka at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Sep 7 12:38:00 MEST 2003

John Chambers wrote:
> The current version of the methods package now has a namespace. Packages
> using S4 methods and classes can have NAMESPACE files.  New directives
> can be included in NAMESPACE files to import and export classes and
> methods.

Looking good!  A couple of (quite possibly silly) questions:

1) I'm using a saved image for a package which creates new generics.
    Am I right in guessing that I use export() to make these generics
    available?

2) In the saved image case, would it make sense to export the generic,
    but not the methods - i.e., did the association of the methods with
    the generic happen pre-save?

Ross Ihaka                         Email:  ihaka at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Department of Statistics           Phone:  (64-9) 373-7599 x 85054
University of Auckland             Fax:    (64-9) 373-7018
Private Bag 92019, Auckland
New Zealand