[Rd] Could the Windows installer edit PATH?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Oct 10 16:00:47 MEST 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 06:53:55AM -0700, Thomas Lumley wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Chris Jackson wrote:
>
> > Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > Why do you need to edit PATH?  I never have the rw10xx/bin directory
> > > in my Desktop PATH.  I do set the PATH in a terminal window when
> > > working with R, but I do that via the shell startup options (.tcshrc
> > > in my case).
> >
> > Emacs needs to know the location of Rterm.exe to run ESS.
>
> Yes, but it can be told.
>   (setq inferior-R-program-name "/path/to/R/bin/Rterm")
> in a .emacs file

Yes, and Chris point is that (parts of) /path/to/R/bin/Rterm change with
every release, requiring a change.

I sort-of solved for Cygwin and Xemacs/Cygwin that by soft-linking from
/usr/local/bin/, but I'd still prefer if R could install into a constant
directory (as an option, say).

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx