[Rd] Could the Windows installer edit PATH?

Chris Jackson chris.jackson at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 14:38:09 MEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Why do you need to edit PATH?  I never have the rw10xx/bin directory
> in my Desktop PATH.  I do set the PATH in a terminal window when
> working with R, but I do that via the shell startup options (.tcshrc
> in my case).

Emacs needs to know the location of Rterm.exe to run ESS.  I had also been
checking, building and installing packages from the standard Windows command
shell.  Using a decent shell instead as you suggest would indeed be a nicer
way of working.

> It is I believe possible to get the installer to do this, but it may
> well not be allowed: our students are not allowed to set it (denied
> by a
> Windows profile setting).

Fair enough.

Chris
--
Christopher Jackson <chris.jackson at imperial.ac.uk>, Research Associate,
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College