[Rd] R as OS X Framework

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 30 08:33:38 MET 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> The current R needs R_HOME to be set before using it even in its
> embedded form. Now this defeats the idea of location independence of
> the framework. The application doesn't have to care whether the
> framework is in /Library/Frameworks, ~/Library/Frameworks or any
> user-defined framework location. Therefore it would be nice to have a
> tiny function in the R shlib, that would tell me where the shlib lives
> (either by using system's API to determine its own location, or at
> least the path used on installation).
>
> BTW: This is not Mac specific - I was fighting this on Windows (and
> unix for that matter) as well - it is possible to run an .exe linked to
> R.dll from anywhere, if R.dll is in the PATH. But then, one has to
> determine R_HOME somehow (yes, there is the registry, but that's not
> really safe if more R versions are installed).

How do you do that?  For R's own executables on Windows R_HOME is
determined from where they are loaded from.  You cannot AFAIK determine
from within an executable where the R.dll was linked from.  That's why the
rproxy.dll uses the registry.  I believe you have even less information on
Windows.

Brian

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk