[Rd] RE: problem with pipes (PR#5053)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Nov 27 18:20:22 MET 2003

I am assuming this is related to the bug report I previously
submitted; however, this time I am getting different behavior
so I thought it might be helpful just in case this gives a clue.

On Windows 2000 the following code crashes R:

> z <- readLines(con <- pipe("cmd /c attrib c:/a*.txt"))
[1] "¬A          C:\\addr.txt~" "A          C:\\a.awk.txt"
[3] "A          C:\\a.txt~"
> close(con)

It crashes when I issue the close command.  What happens specifically
is that a window pops up saying "Rgui has generated errors and
with be closed by windows".    R then shuts down.

I am using Windows 2000 and R 1.8.1.