[Rd] Using log() on an openMosix cluster

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Nov 24 09:09:19 MET 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Roger D. Peng wrote:

> Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice about a problem that I realize
> will be difficult to reproduce for some people.  I'm running R 1.7.1 on
> an openMosix (Linux) cluster and have been experiencing some odd
> slow-downs.  If anyone has experience with such a setup (or a similar
> one) I'd appreciate any help.  Here's a simplified version of the problem.
>
> I'm trying to run the following code:
> ##
> N <- 100000; a <- numeric(N); b <- numeric(N)
> e <- rnorm(N)
>
> for(i in 1:N) {
>          a[i] <- exp(e[i])
>          b[i] <- log(abs(a[i]))
> }
> ##
>
> When I run it on the head node, everything is fine.  However, when I
> send the R process off to one of the cluster nodes (i.e. using mosrun
> from the head node) the program takes about 10 times longer (in
> wall-clock time, cpu time is roughly the same).

Did you adapt the sig*jmp definitions in src/include/Defn.h? This was
necessary until R-1.7.1 and is no longer needed, thanks to Luke's changes
in 1.8.0:

    o   On Unix-like systems interrupt signals now set a flag that is
        checked periodically rather than calling longjmp from the
        signal handler.  This is analogous to the behavior on Windows.
        This reduces responsiveness to interrupts but prevents bugs
        caused by interrupting computations in a way that leaves the
        system in an inconsistent state.  It also reduces the number
        of system calls, which can speed up computations on some
        platforms and make R more usable with systems like Mosix.

I tried the example above with N = 1.000.000:

N <- 1000000; a <- numeric(N); b <- numeric(N)
e <- rnorm(N)

for(i in 1:N) {
         a[i] <- exp(e[i])
         b[i] <- log(abs(a[i]))
}

cat(proc.time())

with R-1.8.0 with Linux 2.4.22 and OpenMosix-Patch and started 10
processes which migrated immediately.

hothorn at mosix:~/tmp/log$ grep -1 cat *.Rout
log1.Rout-R>
log1.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())
log1.Rout-37.04 1.02 43.44 0 0.01R>
--
log10.Rout-R>
log10.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())
log10.Rout-34.25 0.45 40.21 0 0.01R>
--
log2.Rout-R>
log2.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())
log2.Rout-22.19 0.33 29.36 0 0R>
--
log3.Rout-R>
log3.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())
log3.Rout-24.46 0.42 32.96 0 0.03R>
--
log4.Rout-R>
log4.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())
log4.Rout-36.88 0.38 40.73 0 0.02R>
--
log5.Rout-R>
log5.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())
log5.Rout-34.79 0.52 42.83 0.02 0R>
--
log6.Rout-R>
log6.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())
log6.Rout-34.14 0.54 41.46 0 0.01R>
--
log7.Rout-R>
log7.Rout:R> cat(proc.time())

So, everything is fine here. I guess using R-1.8.1 will fix your
problem.

Torsten