[Rd] RAqua with X11 TclTk

Stefano Iacus jago at mclink.it
Sat Nov 8 17:50:34 MET 2003

On Sabato, nov 8, 2003, at 17:36 Europe/Rome, Jan de Leeuw wrote:

> That's a somewhat unfortunate step back, and a rather drastic hack
> to get around the eventloop problem.

yes, but only for 1.8.1, event loop changes requires time and it is
planned not before 1.9.0

> I make two versions of the tcltk
> package, one in RAqua, one in /usr/local/lib/R/library (the X11
> version).
> I then make softlinks from all packages in  /usr/local/lib/R/library to
> ~/Library/RAqua/library and then remove the softlinks to the packages
> that are already in RAqua (including tcltk). Now the Emacs and
> terminal versions use the X11 version and RAqua uses the Aqua
> version of tcltk. http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub gives the deatils,
> including
> the ~/.emacs one needs.

Jan, the AquaTclTk does not seem to work fine at the moment.
I can say more: you can try to run (from CRAN RAqua which is AquaTclTk)
the R cmd line from an xterm and load the tcltk library. And you have
Aquatcltk from X11 !

> I have no build problems in Panther, except the problem with g77-3.4
> when compiling tseries.
apparently we cannot build correctly R-devel on Panther. Try to launch
x11() from RAqua console built on Panther using Apple's gcc and please
let us know if it works for you.