[Rd] RAqua with X11 TclTk

Stefano Iacus jago at mclink.it
Sat Nov 8 17:19:29 MET 2003

I've built a version of RAqua that uses X11 TclTk and NOT AquaTclTk.

http://www.economia.unimi.it/R/RAquaX11.dmg   (15 MB disk image)

The idea is that you: launch RAqua, launch X application (the X
Server), and from inside R type

x11() # just tt set DISPLAY to :0.0. Eventually close this window
device, we don't need this.
load(tcltk)
quartz()
demo(tkdensity)

It works on my Panther machine as well and it comes with three
installers for: libreadline, tcltk (the X11 version) and the libxml2 in
case you want to use the prebuilt XML package.

Thomas Lumley has found oddities in configuring/building R on Panther
so I built it on Jaguar and it works as well on panther.

I would like to propose this version of RAqua for R-1.8.1, i.e. built
only against X11/tcltk.

This will allow one binary only for R that can run tcltk from Emacs or
phyton for example.

Could you please test it on Jaguar and Panther before the end of the
next week?

I've built this version with the following config

./configure --enable-R-shlib --with-blas='-framework vecLib'
--with-lapack --with-aqua

Of course, I have built from sources tck and tk 8.4.4.
If you want to do this take care to configure and build the tcl/tk
sources from inside the "unix" directory.

stefano