[Rd] Search engine fails entirely (PR#4966)

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Thu Nov 6 14:28:06 MET 2003

I thank Prof. Ripley for his kind reference.

Below is the URL for a post last month that provides some guidance. The
bottom line, as Prof. Ripley pointed out, is that both Java AND
JavaScript must be enabled in the browser Preference settings.

In addition, it is critical that a proper symlink be created in the
Mozilla 'plugins' folder to the proper Java binary. You need 'root'
privileges to do this. If this symlink is not created, Mozilla does not
know where Java is and cannot execute the R search applet.

The post below contains links to the Mozilla 1.5 release notes regarding
Java installation, as well as links to the requisite Sun Java pages
(FAQs, etc.)

https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-October/039822.html

If you get this properly configured, when you get to the Search page,
you should see a message in the lower left hand Mozilla status line
indicating that the search applet has started.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz