[Rd] R-1.7.0 beta available

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Mar 26 21:51:16 MET 2003

Roger Peng wrote:
> I get an error when running `make check-all' fails on:
>
> R-1.7.0beta_latest.tar.gz        26-Mar-2003 16:08   8.8M
>
> Here's the very end of tests/Examples/base-Ex.Rout.fail:
>

>>### * object.size
>>
>>### Name: object.size
>>### Title: Report the Space Allocated for an Object
>>### Aliases: object.size
>>
>>### ** Examples
>>
>>object.size(letters)
>
> [1] 340
>
>>object.size(ls)
>
> [1] 7872
>
>>## find the 10 largest objects in base
>>z <- sapply(ls("package:base"), function(x) object.size(get(x)))
>
> Error in get(x) : F used instead of FALSE
> Execution halted
>
> -roger
> _______________________________
> UCLA Department of Statistics
> rpeng at stat.ucla.edu
> http://www.stat.ucla.edu/~rpeng

Confirmed Roger's finding on RH 8.0, otherwise it compiles fine.

As an aside, RH 9 to be called 'Shrike', (curiously skipping 8.1 due to
binary incompatibility issues) will be available on March 31 to paid RHN
subscribers. It will be available a week later to all folks.

Folks doing development may want to be aware, if not already, of the
change in the threading approach used in RH 9 which will go to the
Native POSIX Threads Library. Some very brief information on the change
and possible application related problems is available here:

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/phoebe-list/2003-March/004919.html

There is also a white paper here:

http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf

I raise this in case this might in any way affect anyone's development
considerations.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz