[Rd] cex.axis in boxplot (PR#2628)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Mar 12 18:15:25 MET 2003

Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the graphical parameter "cex.axis" does not have any affect for "boxplot":
>
> data(iris)
> boxplot(iris[,1:4], ylab="y", cex.lab=2, cex.axis=2)
>

> The patch is simply adding "cex.axis" to the search for axis relevant
> parameters in "bxp":
>
> ax.pars <- pars[names(pars) %in% c("xaxt", "yaxt", "las", "cex.axis")]

The following works:
  par(cex.axis=2)
  boxplot(iris[,1:4], ylab="y")

Hence not clearly a bug.
And again we have the discusion whether to implement almost all par()
arguments in functions like boxplot() / bxp() or not. I'll bet there are
also a few other par() arguments that don't work with bxp().

I refer to Martin Maechler's mail (17.12.02: [Rd] Changing "..." inside
a function: impossible? desirable?).

Is there a decision (by R-Core)?
Is it desirable to have (almost) (all) par() arguments work as arguments
of highlevel plot functions?

Uwe Ligges