[Rd] Re: [R-SIG-Mac] R version on gifi

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 19:33:33 MEST 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Don MacQueen wrote:

> At 5:45 PM +0200 6/17/03, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> >There is still one issue to consider in this context: source
> >packages. A really 'plain' Mac OS X can't be used to install source
> >packages as-is, basically because there are three missing things:
> >Dev Tools, g77 and latex. The first one is official, so we could
> >require that (and probably have to). G77 is really just a few files,
> >so the installer could add it if necessary, but I'm not sure about
> >latex. Is building packages w/o latex documentation an option?
>
> For an OS X user with no unix background, I would think that pdf is
> the preferred format, and sufficient.

PDF is produced via latex in R.  Would that really be preferred to HTML?
Nothing in R is setup to produce PDF help, and especially not PDF
hyperlinked between different documents (which is a problem in a dynamic
framework).

BTW, could this sort of discussion go on in R-SIG-Mac or R-devel but not
both since R-SIG-Mac is a closed list.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk