[Rd] Problem with Rcmd check and S4 methods

John Chambers jmc at research.bell-labs.com
Fri Jun 13 14:18:23 MEST 2003

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> In the little orientation data package I'm working on, the very first
> example fails, even though the same code works when used in a regular
> session.  In my experience, this usually indicates T or F has been
> used instead of TRUE or FALSE, but that's not the case this time.
>
> The error message is
>
>  > x <- eulerzyx(1,0,0)4bb
>  Error: Trying to get slot "validity" from an object of a basic class
> ("NULL") with no slots
>  Execution halted
>
> What I think is the relevant source looks like this:
>
> setClass('orientation')
> setIs('orientation','vector')
>
> setClass('eulerzyx', representation(x = 'matrix'))
> setIs('eulerzyx', 'orientation')
>
> eulerzyx <- function(psi, theta, phi)
>     new('eulerzyx', x = cbind(psi, theta, phi))
>
> Can anyone tell me what that error message means?

The code has a NULL object that was supposed to be a class definition
(and therefore to have a "validity" slot).

> Is it something
> I've done wrong, or a problem with the methods package or the checks?

I was able to add your source & the one-line example to a small package
and get through R CMD check.

Can you do example(eulerzyx) after attaching the package?

Are you using a saved image (e.g., with an empty install.R file in the
package directory)?  (Though if not, the check would often fail at an
earlier stage.)

It would be nice to be able to get a dump from the R CMD check
evaluation--maybe someone can suggest how.

John