[Rd] stuck tcltk scrollbars under Windows XP

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 6 08:23:27 MEST 2003

Dear R-devel list members,

I've encountered a problem with my Rcmdr package under Windows XP and could
use some advice:

The Rcmdr package uses the tcltk package to create menus and dialog boxes.
My standard procedure when a dialog is created is to grab the focus -- e.g., by

     tkfocus(top)
     tkgrab(top)

(Here, top is a top-level window -- say, containing one or more
scrollbars.) When the window is closed, I release the focus, destroy the
window, and return the focus to another window -- e.g.,

     tkgrab.release(top)
     tkdestroy(top)
     . . .
     tkfocus(.commander)

(Here .commander is a top-level window residing in the global environment.)

This procedure works fine under Windows 2000 -- where I've done most of the
testing of the Rcmdr package under Windows -- but I received a report of a
problem from a Windows XP user, who noted that scrollbars tend to get
stuck. I was able to reproduce the problem intermittently on an XP system,
and found that the problem appears to go away when I remove the calls to
tkgrab() and tkgrab.release().

You can test for the problem with the following code:

     window1 <- tktoplevel()
     window2 <- tktoplevel()
     xFrame <- tkframe(window2)
     xScroll <- tkscrollbar(xFrame, repeatinterval=5, command=function(...)
tkyview(xBox, ...))
     xBox <- tklistbox(xFrame, height=4,
         selectmode="single", background="white", exportselection="FALSE",
         yscrollcommand=function(...) tkset(xScroll, ...))
     for (x in letters) tkinsert(xBox, "end", x)
     onOK <- function() {
         tkgrab.release(window2)
         tkfocus(window1)
         tkdestroy(window2)
         }
     OKbutton <- tkbutton(window2, text="OK", width="12", command=onOK,
default="active")
     tkgrid(xBox, xScroll, sticky="nw")
     tkgrid.configure(xScroll, sticky="ns")
     tkgrid(xFrame, sticky="w")
     tkgrid(OKbutton, sticky="w")
     tkselection.set(xBox, 0)
     tkbind(window2, "<Return>", onOK)
     tkfocus(window2)
     tkgrab(window2)

I find that I can make the scrollbar stick under Windows XP by repeatedly
and rapidly pressing the scroll-down button. As mentioned, removing the
calls to tkgrab() and tkgrab.release() seems to eliminate the problem.

I wonder whether anyone else has encountered this problem or has any
insight into its source. Am I doing something wrong here? I could simply
remove the calls to tkgrab() and tkgrab.release() throughout the package,
or make them optional, perhaps checking for Windows XP via shell("ver",
intern=TRUE)[2], but I'd rather solve the problem.

I've also had a report of tk windows failing to stay on top of the R-GUI
SDI Console in Windows XP, but I haven't been able to duplicate this
problem, and it has never occurred in my testing under Windows 2000 and
Linux. Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Thanks,
  John
John Fox
Department of Sociology