[Rd] get.hist.quote not connecting to yahoo (PR#3188)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 14:05:30 MEST 2003

This is clearly stated to be a connection problem. If it ever works it is
not an R problem, and that is the case (as you say and we find).

Please don't abuse R-bugs, which is for bugs in R, not bugs in your
internet connectivity nor even for bugs in contributed packages such as
tseries.

It `works' here, but there seems to be a problem in tseries:

>      x <- get.hist.quote(instrument = "^spc", start = "1998-01-01",
+                          quote = "Close")
trying URL
`http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=^spc&a=0&b=01&c=1998&d=5&e=03&f=2003&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=^spc&x=.csv'
Content type `application/octet-stream' length unknown
opened URL
downloaded 65Kb

time series starts 1998-01-02
Error in Ops.difftime((end - start) * frequency, 1.01) :
        both arguments of + must be difftime objects

because get.hist.quote passes classed objects as start and end to ts().

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 alexg at trwim.com wrote:

> Full_Name: Alexander Gracian
> Version: 1.7

There is no such version: please read more carefully.

> OS: windows XP
> Submission from: (NULL) (217.158.140.82)
>

> Since yesterday morning get.hist.quote in tseries has not been connecting to
> yahoo 90% of the time. Is this a problem or change at Yahoo's end?
>
> Alex
>
> Example of R output...
>
> Tring to pulling in 30 days of pricestrying URL

You have a spelling problem and a new-line problem in your code!

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk