[Rd] OpenBSD 3.[23] and R-1.7.1

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Wed Jul 23 17:11:17 MEST 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 01:07  PM, Peter Rye wrote:

> I have been able to compile R on OpenBSD 3.[23] for the i386 platform
> (still a.out at the moment).
> [...]
> months. The OpenBSD-current for i386 will also be ELF.  On the ELF
> platforms,
> the build dies with the following error:
>
> dumping R code in package 'methods'
> Error in .Call("R_initialize_methods_metadata", table, PACKAGE =
> "methods") :
>         .Call function name not in load table
> Execution halted
> *** Error code 1

I don't know much about OpenBSD, but I experienced the same error on
Darwin a while ago. It indicated different naming conventions in shlib
export tables - missing underscore or one too many (in our Darwin case
no leading underscore should be used although it was prepended by
default). Basically it means that the necessary function which is to be
provided in the shared library cannot be found (and the package
'methods' is the first to attempt to load an external shlib in R). You
may want to check how your platform uses dlsym and also check the
linker flags for module libraries. This is just a hint, I have no
OpenBSD box here to test it.

Cheers,
Simon

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany