[Rd] summary.table parameter bug (PR#2514)

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk
Fri Jan 31 23:44:02 2003

Prof Brian D Ripley <ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> > parameter <- prod(sapply(m, length)) - (sum(sapply(m, length) - 1) + 1)
> >
> > Running Version 1.5-0, 2002-04-28 for Windows.
>
> So that's 4 versions old already. I don't know if this has changed (you
> don't make it easy for us by providing an example), but I do know that
> around 170 bugs have been fixed, so please update.
>
> We do expect people to test the latest version before filing a bug report.
> It takes you less time that it takes the volunteers to process the report.

In this case reading the code will do and it is still wrong. Not that
I disagree with Brian's remark in general.

[I think it has been reported before too, but today is not the day to
ask people to check the bug repository.]

I don't feel altogether happy with summary.table generating that test
in the first place. Tables are not statistical model fits - not
necessarily, anyway - so something descriptive might be better.

Wouldn't it be more obvious anyway to have a separate
independence.test() (or so) for generating the test of independence?

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907