[Rd] trySilent (was try.Silent)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 16:49:28 2003

We could, and it had crossed my mind.  Thanky ou for raising it.
However, we could not do that before 1.7.0 (new feature, and
anyway 1.6.2 is in final testing for release in a couple of days).

We have been considering having package methods in the default package
list for 1.7.0, which would provide this.  However, my preference would be
to have this as an argument to try, as in try(..., silent=TRUE)
Note that trySilent actually does two things:

i) it sets options(show.error.messages = FALSE)
ii) it sets options(error = empty.dump) (or equivalently) to suppress
any error handler

and one might just want just one of those two.  Do perhaps

try(..., silent = FALSE, nodump= TRUE)

(or defaulting nodump to silent) might be a comprehensive interface.

Any preferences?