[Rd] R-devel problems

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 25 04:02:03 2003

The OS X configure in R-devel has been changed to use two-level
namespaces. There
are still some problems.

1. Trunmed.c in the modreg packages defines a function heapsort(),
while heapsort
is also defined (differently) in /usr/lib/stdlib.h. I (temporarily)
disabled the
definition in stdlib.h.

2. If R is configured with the --without-x flag, then CPPFLAGS does not
include
/usr/X11R6/include, while the tk.h files still tries to include
X11/xlib.h (and
can't find it, obviously). I added -I /usr/X11R6/include to the compile
of tcltk.o

3. Configure does not pass the $(Rexecbindir) to the Makefiles in the
/src/library
directory, so the links cannot find the bundle_loader. I added them by
hand for
all package links.

4. The aqua module does not work with two-level namespaces. Since it
does
not work anyway, and Stefano will remove it soon, it may be better to
remove
it even sooner.

5. In order to link the bundles with -bundle -bundle_loader
/usr/local/lib/R/bin/R.bin
the /usr/local/lib/R/bin/R.bin must exist, and moreover must be an
R-devel build.
This is a little bootstrap problem which can be easily hacked.