[Rd] match.arg

Spencer Graves spencer.graves@pdf.com
Mon Feb 24 17:56:05 2003

Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to generalize the MASS function "stepAIC" to study the
effects of hierarchy for both interactions and parabolic terms.  I
include a new argument 'hierarchy = c("include", "exclude", "ignore")'
being a 2-vector, with the first component for interaction and the
second for parabolic terms:

	* "exclude" fails to consider A:B (or A^2) unless both A and B are
currently in the model.  This is the current default for interactions
but not for parabolic terms.

	* "include" forces A:B to be evaluated with 3 degrees of freedom if
neither A nor B are currently in the model, 2 degrees of freedom if only
1 are in the model, and 1 degree of freedom if both are currently in the
model (assuming A and B are both either numerical variables or 2-level
factors).  George Box says he invented response surface methods for a
chemical plant that had only interactions.  The plan had gone through
several general managers, who had done what they could with one factor
at a time experiments.  I plan to analyze several Taguchi 3-level
experiments in order to evaluate effect sparcity and the frequency with
which both interactions and parabolic terms occur in industrial
experimentation, and I need an automated way of doing this.

	* "ignore" means include or exclude the interaction independent of
whether the main effect is in the model.  This is the current default
for A^2.

I want to make "include" the default for both A:B and A^2.  In my
revision of stepAIC, I call match.arg as follows;

	 hierarchy <- rep(match.arg(hierarchy), length=2)

What do you think?  I know that one example does not justify adding a
rarely used option to a general tool.  However, it occurred to me that
there might be other applications

#################

Thanks for reminding me about the "seq(length= length(arg))"
construction.  After I sent that email, I discovered that problem, and
added the following line right before the "for" loop:

	if((length(arg)==length(choices)) && all(arg==choices))
	      return(choices[1])

Since I had heard no reply, I decided not to issue a "correction" to an
email that might go nowhere or might only irritate the recipients.

Thanks again for your comments and all your effort and creativity in the
R project.

Best Wishes,
Spencer Graves