[Rd] require vs library

kjetil brinchmann halvorsen kjetil@entelnet.bo
Sun Feb 23 03:17:03 2003

On 21 Feb 2003 at 18:06, ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk wrote:

The problem which surprised Brian Ripley (the search list being
changed by a package without the package giving information)
occurs also with recommended packages:

(This is R1.6.2)
> search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"    "package:ctest" "Autoloads"     "package:base"

> library(nlme)
> search()

[1] ".GlobalEnv"      "package:mva"     "package:lattice"
"package:grid"
[5] "package:nlme"    "package:nls"     "package:ctest"   "Autoloads"
   [9] "package:base"

mva and grid has been loaded without any warning. Everybody knows
lattice requires grid, but why mva?

Restarting R:

> search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"    "package:ctest" "Autoloads"     "package:base"
> library(grid)
> search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"    "package:grid"  "package:ctest" "Autoloads"
[5] "package:base"
> library(lattice)
> search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"      "package:lattice" "package:grid"
"package:ctest"
[5] "Autoloads"       "package:base"
> library(nls)
> search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"      "package:nls"     "package:lattice"
"package:grid"
[5] "package:ctest"   "Autoloads"       "package:base"
> library(nlme)
> search()
[1] ".GlobalEnv"      "package:mva"     "package:nlme"
"package:nls"
[5] "package:lattice" "package:grid"    "package:ctest"   "Autoloads"

[9] "package:base"

So nlme loads mva without a warning. This did'nt happen before
R1.6.0, I beleave.

On this theme, I have another question. I have a package
which needs another package (SuppDists) for only one
function. I do require() within that function only. Is that OK,
or should it be done within .First.lib ?

Kjetil Halvorsen