[Rd] signif {base}: changes to scientific notation

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 16:54:03 2003

You are confusing signif() and printing!

signif() returns a real number.

Printing does exactly what it is described to do, and has no concept of
how the number was produced.

I guess you were looking for format(), which allows more control.

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Wolfram Fischer - Z/I/M wrote:

> PROBLEM
>     `signif' does change to scientic notation
>     at different levels depending on the number
>     of significant digits in the input.
>
>     This can generate tables where figures change
>     ``irregularly'' from normal to scientific notation.
>

> PROPOSAL
>     The change to the scientific notation should
>     be made only if the figure in scientific notation
>     - with potentially as many significant digits as
> 	given as argument to the call of `signif' -
>     would be shorter than the figure in normal notation.

This is a misunderstanding of what is happening