[Rd] RE: [R] Bus error with xyplot

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw@merck.com
Mon Feb 3 20:53:35 2003

> From: ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk [mailto:ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk]
>
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Liaw, Andy wrote:
>
> > > From: Martin Maechler [mailto:maechler@stat.math.ethz.ch]

> > >     Giovanni> Has anybody else experienced something like the
> > > example below?
> > > not recently.
> > > Could it be that your version of the `grid' package (which is
> > > loaded by `lattice') or `lattice' are incompatible (i.e. older
> > > than) to your R version?
> > > After   library(lattice), use
> > >  .path.package()
> > > to see where it was loaded from.
> >
> > This brings up (IIRC) a topic that was discussed on R-devel
> a while ago:
> > Version checks for required packages.  Is this feasible?
> Seems quite
> > worthwhile to me...
>
> It's not feasible.  If package A is upgraded and makes
> package B need an
> upgrade, there is no way for package B's maintainer to
> anticipate this.
> Now one could be conservative and have B require exactly one
> version of A,
> but then upgrading A makes B unusable.  (The latter is what
> has happened a
> few times with ghostscript and gsview/windvi.)

Well, I was thinking of only one-way: much like the package requiring R
version >= something, also allow requiring package blah version >=
something.  Of course, if a new version of package blah has API changes that
breaks the package requiring it, then the maintainer should pay close
attention to the package that he/she is requiring so as to minimize this
from happening...

> I have suggested before that grid be more closely integrated
> with R, and
> become a base package.  Then grid would only be changed when
> the R version
> changes, and the critical incompatibility goes away.

Or, I guess, another possibilities is to have lattice/grid become conjoint
twins; i.e., make them into a package bundle.

Andy