[Rd] La.eigen hangs R when NaN is present (PR#6003)

sundard at pdf.com sundard at pdf.com
Mon Dec 22 16:05:30 MET 2003

Full_Name: Sundar Dorai-Raj
Version: 1.8.1
OS: Windows 2000 Professional
Submission from: (NULL) (12.64.199.173)

I discovered this problem when trying to use princomp in package:mva when a
column in my matrix was all zeros and I set cor = TRUE (thus division by 0).
Doing so hangs R, never to return. I have to shut down Rterm in the Task Manager
and lose all work from the current image. I tracked down the problem to using
La.eigen when the input matrix has one or more NaN. Note that eigen(x, sym =
TRUE) gives a sensible result without hanging R.

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386