[Rd] Reorganization of packages in the R distribution

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Dec 12 18:49:12 MET 2003

If  I understand this change correctly, I think is wrong for R-core to
think it is a small change. It has much more serious consequences for me
than any changes introduced  R 1.0. It definitely should not be
introduced at a dot level release unless there is a fairly simple
mechanism to deal with the implications. It breaks  6 of my 9 packages
on CRAN at a fairly fundamental level,  2 more at a less serious level,
and some packages I have not yet release.

Perhaps my programming technique is not correct. I always considered
this trick to be a work-around for a short coming in R/S.   The issue is
that the correct way to do this needs to be implemented before the trick
that allows a work-around is eliminated.

Paul Gilbert