[Rd] Failed installation on Mac OSX 10.3 (PR#5697)

Brian.Beckage at uvm.edu Brian.Beckage at uvm.edu
Thu Dec 11 16:39:54 MET 2003

I've installed R 1.8.1 on OSX 10.3 (Panther) using the RAqua.pkg and
all indications were that the installation was successful.  However,
after double clicking the R icon in the Applications folder, nothing
appears to happen.  The following message appears on the console:

Mac OS X Version 10.3 (Build 7B85)
2003-12-11 08:45:31 -0500
prefs written
dyld: /Applications/StartR.app/RAqua.app/Contents/MacOS/RAqua can't
open library: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.4.3.dylib  (No such file or
directory, errno = 2)

When I check /usr/local/ there is no 'lib' folder, only the 'bin'
folder.  I checked the FAQ's and the bug reports and this problem was
reported by at least one other person (bug report id 5529) but no
solution has been put forward that I could find.

Do the other packages that come with the download (e.g.,
j_libreadlne.pkg, j_tcltk.pkg, j_libxml2.pkg) need to be installed?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Brian

Brian Beckage