[Rd] length() and nchar()

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Aug 30 09:43:39 MEST 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 09:11:59PM -0400, Byron Ellis wrote:
> THAT'S how you find the length of a string?!!  *smacks forehead* I

Seconded. Could we even alias this for strlen or something similar?  I still
start by looking for C library equivalents as that works often enough, but
string length was one of these things I had been missing.

Dirk

> ended up doing a regex for /$^/. Man, I feel stupid.
>
> On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Wolfram Fischer wrote:
>
> >I would propose to add "
> >    See also:
> >        `nchar' for counting the number of character in
> >		character vectors.
> >"
> >to the helpfile of length(),
> >because it is rather difficult
> >to find nchar() if one has only
> >search terms as "length", "len",
> >"strlen" in mind.
> >
> >Sincerly
> >
> >Wolfram Fischer

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx