[Rd] R Memory Management Under Windows (PR#3980)

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Mon Aug 25 16:34:09 MEST 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:29:10 +0200 (MET DST), dteller at affinnova.com
wrote :

>I have several possible solutions to this and am thinking about implementing one
>of them:
>1) Completely scrap the routines in malloc.c and replace them with a thin
>wrapper around the core Windows memory allocation routines.
>2) Attempt to implement a windows version of mmap() and enable that feature for
>large allocations.
>3) Attempt to clean up the malloc routines so they are less picky about the
>address ordering of chunks allocated from the system.

Option 1 is currently available with the compile time option
LEA_MALLOC = NO in src/gnuwin32/MkRules.  I doubt if we would
incorporate patches to do 2 or 3, because this sort of stuff is so
hard to test and debug, but you're welcome to do it for your own use.
If you do, I'd recommend talking to Doug Lea, the author of our
current malloc, about incorporating your ideas into his code.

Duncan Murdoch