[Rd] declarations in non-exported headers and embedding R

Joe Conway mail at joeconway.com
Sun Aug 24 10:50:42 MEST 2003

Hello,

I've been using R embedded in PL/R (R procedural language handler for
PostgreSQL, http://www.joeconway.com/plr/) very successfully for several
months now. A sincere "thank you" goes to the R development team for
such a great product.

I have a question I'm hoping someone here can help me with. In order to
get the required functionality out of PL/R, I've had to resort to using
some defines and declarations that are only available in non-exported
headers. There is precedent, of a sort, for most of what I've used in
the tests/Embedding source. Below I'll present the header code I've
used, where it comes from, why I've used it, and where I saw it used in
tests/Embedding.

My question is whether there is equivalent exported functionality that
I'm missing? Or if not, would a patch be accepted that moves this
functionality to an exported header?

Thanks,

Joe

Here are the specifics:
 From non-exported header file ${R_HOME}/src/include/Parse.h
extern SEXP R_ParseVector(SEXP, int, int *);
#define PARSE_NULL			0
#define PARSE_OK			1
#define PARSE_INCOMPLETE	2
#define PARSE_ERROR			3
#define PARSE_EOF			4
 From non-exported header file ${R_HOME}/src/include/Defn.h
extern void R_PreserveObject(SEXP);
extern void R_ReleaseObject(SEXP);

Use:
-------------
The first time a PL/R function is called, the R function is built and
parsed using R_ParseVector(), then cached for subsequent calls. Without
R_PreserveObject() garbage collection destroys the object while PL/R is
still trying to use it. R_ReleaseObject() is needed to release the
object for garbage collection if the cached copy becomes invalid.

Note:
-------------
Similar use of R_ParseVector() found in
    ${R_HOME}/tests/Embedding/RParseEval.c
Similar use of R_PreserveObject() found in
    ${R_HOME}/tests/Embedding/Rshutdown.c

from non-exported header file ${R_HOME}/src/include/Startup.h
/* Startup Actions */
typedef enum {
     SA_NORESTORE,/* = 0 */
     SA_RESTORE,
     SA_DEFAULT,/* was === SA_RESTORE */
     SA_NOSAVE,
     SA_SAVE,
     SA_SAVEASK,
     SA_SUICIDE
} SA_TYPE;
from non-exported header file ${R_HOME}/src/unix/Runix.h
extern void Rstd_CleanUp(SA_TYPE saveact, int status, int runLast);

Use:
When the PostgreSQL backend process exits, Rstd_CleanUp() is called via
registered onexit callback so that the embedded R interpreter can clean
up (e.g. to remove the created Rtmp[pid] directory).

Note: