[Rd] RAqua

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 13 08:45:10 MEST 2003

Some additional suggestions:

If you install/update packages, the output can be viewed in the
Console application. Is that really the place where we want it ?

update.packages() without argument can be used from the RAqua
console, but maybe the GUI should have an update.all
button

Quit from the menu requires you to respond to a question in
the RAqua console. It would be more intuitive if Quit from the
menu brought up a dialog window asking if you wanted
to save the workspace.

More inserted below,

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 7:24 AM, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Stefano Iacus wrote:
>
>>> 4. Input and output windows cannot be resized independently. I
>>> would still vote for two separate input and output windows.
>
> And I'd vote for a single combined window :)

Compromise is my middle name: how about a resize bar in the middle
of the single window, for relative resizing.

>>> 6. If you want to download from CRAN you select packages in
>>> a window, and the download starts if you close the window.
>> it starts only if you check the item "install", otherwise the R
>> session
>> continues giving you a prompt.
>>> That's not intuitive, there should be a separate download or go
>>> button.
>
> I don't find it intuitive, either, but isn't it fairly standard under
> Aqua/OSX that dialogs are `live' and changes happen without a separate
> confirmation button (eg in System Preferences)?

If you change settings in Network, for instance, there is an "Apply
Now" button.

>>> 7. I thought I saw somewhere that RAqua can now open X11
>>> devices. Mine can't.
>> you should start QuartzX and use x11(display=":0")
>
> You don't even need x11(display=":0"), but you do need to start an X
> server.  RAqua doesn't start an X server and I don't think it should.

I agree (of course)  it shouldn't start an X server. But I may have an
older version
of RAqua, because mine still says

X11 module is not available under this GUI

> X display windows are still not resizable, which is a similar
> event-handling issue to the Tk one.
>
> 	-thomas
>
> Thomas Lumley			Assoc. Professor, Biostatistics
> tlumley at u.washington.edu	University of Washington, Seattle

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu