[Rd] 1.8.0 schedule

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Tue Aug 12 23:01:16 MEST 2003

On 12 Aug 2003 22:05:59 +0200, Peter Dalgaard BSA

>Sep 10:
>
>    Declare start of release process. The build process is assumed to
>    be essentially in place at this time.
>
>    There is a "grand feature" freeze (minor tweaks can be applied,
>    but no wholesale restructuring or API changes). Notice that
>    wrapping a package in a namespace is a grand feature, and so is
>    meddling with the event loop.
>
>    Package maintainers should start adapting to any changes in base.
>
>    Start making R-1.8.0alpha.tgz packages automatically available.
>
>Sep 24:
>
>    Feature freeze, simultaneously on base and recommended packages.
>    It is assumed that all recommended packages pass their checks at
>    this point. The API should not be touched.
>
>    Start making R-1.8.0beta.tgz packages automatically available.

If I hear no objections from CRAN I'll start putting binary builds in
the Windows download area.  They'll be called rw1080alpha.exe and
rw1080beta.exe, and won't be refreshed daily, but will be refreshed as
frequently as I can manage.

If this causes a bandwidth problem on CRAN or mirrors I'll revert to
putting them on my own web page
<http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/r-devel/>
as I currently do (irregularly) with development builds.

Duncan Murdoch