[Rd] Wish (PR#3690)

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Mon Aug 11 10:33:15 MEST 2003

When I want apply() to always return a matrix, no matter whether the
returned value from the applied function is a single value or a
multi-element vector, I often use rbind() or cbind() along the lines of the
following:

 > # Some example data:
 > x <- rbind(1:3,7:9)
      [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    2    3
[2,]    7    8    9

 > # The problem -- different shaped result depending on whether the
applied function returns a single value or a matrix:
 > apply(x, 1, min)
[1] 1 7
 > apply(x, 1, c)
      [,1] [,2]
[1,]    1    7
[2,]    2    8
[3,]    3    9

 > # A solution:
 > do.call("rbind", unlist(apply(x, 1, function(row) list(row)), rec=F))
      [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    2    3
[2,]    7    8    9
 > do.call("rbind", unlist(apply(x, 1, function(row) list(min(row))), rec=F))
      [,1]
[1,]    1
[2,]    7

 > # Beware that the above manner of calling apply() can preclude some
potential optimizations that could otherwise be performed by the
implementation of apply() (but, as far as I am aware, these are not
performed in the current version of R).

There would be of course many other ways of ensuring that your result is of
a particular shape, some possibly more efficient, e.g., using matrix() with
the appropriate nrow or ncol arguments.

It would be difficult to add any new arguments to apply() because apply()
passes arguments it doesn't recognize down the supplied function.  If a new
argument were added to apply(), especially one with a common name like
drop, that could break existing code that depended on that argument being
passed to the applied function.  It would probably make more sense to add
to the apply() family a new function that was designed to work in a regular
way with arrays with any number of dimensions, and I'm sure there would be
many opinions on what features that function should have (I would argue
that it should preserve the ordering of dimensions so that, for instance,
the call analogous to apply(x, 1, c) returned x rather than the transpose
of x.)

-- Tony Plate