[Rd] tools/ldAIX4 Assumes AIX nm (PR#2887)

rgrubbfink at cox.net rgrubbfink at cox.net
Wed Apr 30 23:24:35 MEST 2003

Full_Name: Richard L. Grubb
Version: 1.6.2
OS: AIX 4.3.3
Submission from: (NULL) (130.76.96.17)

The ldAIX4 script in the tools directory calls the nm program, assuming it is
the
nm supplied with AIX. However, I have GNU nm in $HOME/bin, and it was being
executed
instead of /usr/bin/nm or /bin/nm. The script failed silently, and caused
downstream
problems because etc/R.exp was empty.

I ran into this same bug under R 1.7.0, but have not verified my fix yet (I
backed up
to version 1.6.2 to see if I could build it). My fix was to replace the line
"nm=nm"
in the script ldAIX4 with "nm=/bin/nm"

See also my bug report on nm not being able to read src/main/dounzip.o