[Rd] qr(x,LAPACK=TRUE) (PR#2867)

simon at stats.gla.ac.uk simon at stats.gla.ac.uk
Mon Apr 28 18:36:17 MEST 2003

Hi,

I think there is a problem with the LAPACK version of qr() in version
1.7.0. (version below).

1. The documentation states that LAPACK=TRUE is the default, but the code
has LAPACK=FALSE.

2. With LAPACK=TRUE qr() is never pivoting, even in cases where it very
clearly should be. e.g.

set.seed(0)
X<-matrix(rnorm(40),10,4);X[,1]<-X[,2]
qrx<-qr(X,LAPACK=TRUE)
qrx$pivot # note, no pivoting
qr.R(qrx) # note zero on leading diagonal is not in trailing block

3. ?qr includes the statement:

Using LAPACK (including in the complex case) uses column pivoting

4. If I call F77_NAME(dgeqp3) directly I get correct pivoting.

platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    7.0
year     2003
month    04
day      16
language R

Apologies if I'm doing something dumb, but I can't see what it is at the
moment.

best,
Simon