[Rd] zip.unpack() crashes R (PR#2818)

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Fri Apr 25 19:36:17 MEST 2003

OK.

> > zip-file can contain when unpacking it with zip.unpack().
> This results
> > in an R crash. This bug is urgent since install.packages()
> relies on
> > zip.unpack() and too big packages/bundles won't install with the
> > current R v1.7.0 for Windows.
>
> Whyever should a R package have over 1000 files?
> I think you are not understanding how to use the --use-zip options.

My --use-zip was indeed broken (HTML Help Workshop was not in the PATH
anymore -> hhc not found -> make partly failed -> use-zip was not ran,
but package was still created but without the *.chm file). Fixing that
brought down the number of files I have quite a bit. However, one can
still not do anything about all the HTML files.

You are right, even with a large number of HTML help files, a package
will probably not contain > 500 files in total in --use-zip is used, but
a bundle may certainly do it. Using --use-zip my bundle contains 580
files and then I still have a lot of documentation left to do. If
bundles will still be around (I have heard rumours packages will only be
supported), then I think 500 files is a too small limit.

> Also, look at options("unzip").

I am aware of the option to use an external unzipper.

> Why is this bug `urgent':  it has been around for 14 months,
> and no one else has encountered a problem?

The moment I sent it I realized that 'urgent' sounded too requesting, I
just wanted to point out that I believe installations of package/bundles
should never be broken since it is such a basic functionality needed.

Thanks for your help

Henrik Bengtsson