[Rd] "LAPACK routine DGESDD gave error code -12" with Debian (PR#2822)

rdiaz at cnio.es rdiaz at cnio.es
Tue Apr 22 21:07:36 MEST 2003

Dear All,

Under Debian GNU/Linux La.svd (with method = "dgesdd") sometimes gives the
error

"Error in La.svd(data, nu = 0, nv = min(nrow, ncol), method = "dgesdd") :
	LAPACK routine DGESDD gave error code -12"

It seems not to depend on the data per se, but on the relationship between
numbers of rows and columns.

For example, if the number of columns is 100, La.svd will fail when the number
of rows is 56, but not if it is 55 or 57. It will not fail if we use
"dgesvd". If the number of columns is 51, La.svd fails when the number of
rows is between 29 and 50 if we use "dgesdd".

This happens if I use the latest deb packages (and thus ATLAS, etc). It does
not happen if I build R in this same machine with "--without-blas" (where
make check reports no errors). In case it matters, the bug does not show up
in a different machine with Windwos 2000 and the Rblas.dll linked against
ATLAS provided in http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/ATLAS/P4).

I understand this is probably related to the issues mentioned in R-admin about
LAPACK 3.0 and some of the issues recently discussed in this list by M.
Burger, D. Bates and D. Eddelbuettel. Are there any workarounds (besides not
using ATLAS at all?).

Ramón

********************************
An example of failure:
> ## ncol = 100
> nrow <- 56
> ncol <- 100
> data <- matrix(1:(nrow * ncol), ncol = ncol)
> ## you get the errors if you use any other data
> ## such as data <- matrix(rnorm(nrow * ncol), ncol = ncol)
> svd(data) ## error
> La.svd(data, nu = 0,
             nv = min(nrow, ncol), method = "dgesdd") ## error
> La.svd(data, nu = 0,
             nv = min(nrow, ncol), method = "dgesvd") ## OK

*************************

> ## version that crashes
> version
         _
platform i386-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i386
os       linux-gnu
system   i386, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    7.0
year     2003
month    04
day      16
language R
*****************************
> ## version "--without-blas" that does not crash
> version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    7.0
year     2003
month    04
day      16
language R

-----
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972