[Rd] Search Engine (PR#2813)

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 21 23:41:07 MEST 2003

What is your Java version ? Say "s" in the Java Console under the window
menu in Safari to find out. The searchengine applet loads and
initializes but then gives
a java.lang.OutOfMemory exception -- there seems to be only 1M
available,
even after garbage collection. I remember the same problem also occurred
in a much earlier version of R, OS X, and Apple's Java, but then went
away.
Maybe people who use Java 1.3 do not have this problem.

On Monday, Apr 21, 2003, at 21:21 US/Pacific, leroy at ucsd.edu wrote:

> Full_Name: Anthony Westerling
> Version: 1.7.0
> OS: Mac OS X 10.2.5
> Submission from: (NULL) (64.203.9.4)
>

> R includes a very nice search engine web page which installs at
> /usr/local/lib/R/doc/html/search/SearchEngine.html.  The search engine
> and
> keywords links do not work on my Mac G4s running OS X 10.2.5, and this
> appears
> to be independent of choice of browser.  This appears to be a
> Mac-specific
> problem with the Java applet.
>
> I have tried this on three different G4s using IE, Safari, and
> Mozilla.  Neither
> the local file /usr/local/lib/R/doc/html/search/ nor the latest
> patched version
> documentation at
> http://stat.ethz.ch/R-alpha/R-patched/doc/html/search/> SearchEngine.html
> works on the Mac, although the latter URL functions perfectly when
> accessed from
> a browser on a windows PC.
>
> This search function is a very nice feature.  Is there a way to use it
> on a
> Macintosh?
>
> Thank you
>
> Anthony Westerling

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu