[Rd] suggested changes to summary.glm and summary.lm (PR#2776)

jfox at mcmaster.ca jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 14 14:59:26 MEST 2003

Something for the wish list (not really a bug):

I was reminded of what I see as a problem with summary.glm last week when
some of my students fell into a trap in a homework exercise, defining a
logit model in which coefficients were aliased. When this happens in lm,
summary.lm prints a message ["Coefficients: (1 not defined because of
singularities)"], but summary.glm is silent. In both instances, the print
methods show aliased coefficients as NA.

At minimum, I think that it would be desirable for summary.glm to indicate
that there's a problem. In addition, I would prefer that both summary.glm
and summary.lm include aliased coefficients (as NA) in the table of
coefficients.

Thanks for your consideration,
  John
John Fox