[Rd] [R] (PR#2720)

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 3 09:28:36 MEST 2003

Instead of submitting the same bug report multiple times and
harrassing the developers of nlme via personal email you could perhaps
have read the section in Pinheiro and Bates (2000) on calculation of
degrees of freedom.  Had you taken a few minutes to do so you would
have discovered that the calculation of the degrees of freedom for the
constant in a linear mixed-effects model is a special case.  By
disguising the linear model as a nonlinear model you have managed to
defeat the detection of this special case and ended up with a
different number of degrees of freedom.