negative numbers in R plots in Illustrator 8 (and higher?) (PR#2199)

RenE J.V. Bertin
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:48:00 +0200

On 22 Oct 2002 18:46:13 +0200, Peter Dalgaard BSA <> wrote regarding "Re:
negative numbers in R plots in Illustrator 8 (and higher?) (PR#2199)"

8-) > Is there any interest in that I retype it and send it here?
8-) First tell us your analysis... There is some weirdness with
8-) hyphen-vs-minus in the ISOLatin1Encoding, which I at some point got

	Indeed, it is that. Illustrator expects a hyphen at position 45, and not the minus that indeed appears to be the standard. ISO 1252 Latin 1 encoding does put the hyphen at that position.
There is not much difference between the hyphen and the minus glyphs; the former is slightly narrower than the latter. And it seems to be the hyphen that is generated by most keyboards.

8-) it might seem. However, if Adobe themselves are getting it wrong, we
8-) might reconsider our position.

	Well, there *is* some sort of issue with them. If the encoding calls for a minus, they should show it, and not silently ignore it! Or give a warning if the requested font doesn't have it.

Considering your position: just how easy is it to forget or overlook (the absence of) a sign? :)

r-devel mailing list -- Read
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: