[Rd] BLAS/Lapack for OS X

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 29 09:04:02 2002

We do not use optimized LAPACKs because too many of them contain
errors (one of which is in the current LAPACK sources and for which we
use a modified souce with a modified name).  That's stated in
the distribution somewhere.

There's nothing to allow you to build with an optimized LAPACK.  The
current code does work with some blases that contain lapack routines, e.g.
sunperf.  I have hacked the code to use sunperf and on real problems the
gain is negligible.

If `which do not work in combination with the BLAS from vecLib' is true,
then your library is not providing a proper BLAS interface, but I would be
interested to know what `does not work' means (it is the dreaded phrase of
technical support staff).

I have plans to have BLAS support in a shared library (as on Windows).
There are some potential problems (e.g. ATLAS is built without PIC flags)
and I do intend to get back to this for 1.7.x. The main potential problem
will be the non-standard behaviour of MacOS X, I believe.