[Rd] Question re:S4 classes and design; clashing classes?

John Chambers jmc@research.bell-labs.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:21:48 -0500

It wasn't entirely clear what your design goals were, but the general
question of comparing functional method languages (S, CLOS, Dylan) and
OOP languages (Java, etc) is of much interest to me, so here are some
general comments.  Maybe we can then iterate on your example, with or
without r-devel.

The basic difference in approach is easy to state:

 Functional languages define methods based on the function and a
signature (a list matching classes to formal arguments);  OOP languages
attach all methods to a class definition.

The distinction becomes relevant if a function does "multiple dispatch";
that is, defining methods that depend on more than one argument.  (In
that sense, S3 methods made no use of the functional nature of the
language.)

If, say, f(x, y) only has methods that depend on x, then it's just
syntactic sugar, and a matter of organization, that distinguishes the
functional form f(x, y) from an OOP-style form, say x$f(y).

(That's a slight exaggeration, because the functional language model
thinks that "f" should mean something similar regardless of the class of
x, where in OOP you could define the method in a totally inconsistent
way.)

In that sense, I read your description as essentially OOP.  You talk of
"Orca objects having methods", but in a functional language the question
is how the functions that do the computation depend on the objects that
are their arguments.

Nothing wrong with the OOP view, but it means that your question goes
more to how, and if, the underlying R code uses functions.  If it's just
basically an interface to an OOP definition, then it can stay in that
form.  (And I'd like to discuss in separate mail using the Omegahat OOP
package to formalize the R side.)

Functional methods would become relevant if the R software involved
multiple objects.  Not knowing the innards of how things work, let me
make up an example.

If the current view included, say, an object describing a wireframe that
was displayed around the points, then one might have useful classes of
wireframe objects, then a function that stepped the display to the next
view could have methods that depended on both the current data and the
wireframe:
  step(data, wireframe)
(Definitely not asserting this is a relevant example, but perhaps the
general distinction is clear.)

John

--
John M. Chambers                  jmc@bell-labs.com
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies    office: (908)582-2681