[Rd] SV4 on R?

Frank E Harrell Jr fharrell@virginia.edu
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:36:45 -0400

Dear Luke,

Thank you very much for the explanation and for the
good work you are doing on this.  It sounds very
valuable.  I do hope that it will not lead to
non-downward-compatible changes in the S language
except in perhaps unusual cases not affecting
many functions.

One other thought: Something short of what you
are developing could be implemented in the meantime,
namely "manual name registration" through a database
on r-project.org through which developers and users
could register function and class names.  Users
developing packages who desire to reuse an
already registered name would be able to search
the database to find potential incompatibilities
or overrides they would need to warn users of the
package about.  Periodically-run automatic
database queries could compile lists of conflicts
that can be used to warn all users, with a
suggestion that those registering names last should
consider renaming tings.
I believe that Stata, along with the
many other good decisions they have made, has
a web-driven registration system.  If Stata's
language were decent I would have been using it.

Let me renew a plea I've made before which will
lessen the need for some overrides.  A user-specified
vector of attribute names (e.g., "label", "comment",
"units") that would be carried forward when a vector
or matrix is subsetted would do away with the need for
the few overrides I have in R implementations of my
libraries, for [.* functions.

Best regards,

Frank Harrell

--
Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences