[Rd] Re: [R] Hmisc and Design libraries

David James David James <dj@research.bell-labs.com>
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:15:45 -0400 (EDT)

Great news!

Having spent a significant amount of time porting/mantaining some
packages on S4/Splus 5.x and R, I'm interested in your experience
as you port Hmisc and Design; I'd like to know of your progress in
order to help improve available R/Splus portability tools both at the C and
the S language code.   These tools include the package SLanguage written
by John Chambers, and the C macros ported to R by Duncan Temple Lang,
Brian Ripley, Saikat DebRoy (and others?) in "Rdefines.h";  the core macros
are mainly those in Appendix A of the green book (Chambers, "Programming
with Data"), but you'll probably need to write additional ones, as I have
done for my own packages. [BTW, Rdefines.h needs to be updated in R 1.2.2
(and previous 1.2.x?) -- details will follow when I submit a bug report on
this.]

Notice that by portability we/I typically mean "from Splus -> R", but
more and more we may start seeing "R->Splus" as well.

Should we think of forming an R/Splus portability SIG (Special Interest Group)?

Regards,

David A. James
Statistics Research, Room 2C-253            Phone:  (908) 582-3082
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies              Fax:    (908) 582-3340
Murray Hill, NJ 09794-0636