[Rd] Re: [R] Nothing can be pasted...

Luke Tierney luke@goose.stat.umn.edu
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:12:18 -0500 (CDT)

Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
> Prof Brian Ripley <ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> > > which I didn't see with RH6.2. However,  R  seems to run just fine
> > > nevertheless. The offending line in config.h is
> > >
> > > #define DYNLOADEXT  "." ## SHLIBEXT
> > >
> > > I'm not too familiar with  C  programming, but if ## SHLIBEXT
> > > is meant as a comment, shouldn't it be surrounded by /* */?
> >
> > I wonder if this is a problem with using a beta compiler?
> I certainly wouldn't put such a goof beyond RedHat, but it might be a
> question of tighter standards compliance. What happens if the spaces
> around ## are removed? (The error message might read as "can't paste
> onto a whitespace token")

White space should be fine, from my reading of Harbison & Steele at least.
The old KR way of doing token concatenation was

#define CONCAT(x,y) x/**/y

and there leaving white space would not work, but with the ## operator

#define CONCAT(x,y) x##y

#define CONCAT(x,y) x ## y

should be equivalent.

Since the two bits are literal strings, it would also be possible to define

My fear is that the preprocessor is complaining about SHLIBEXT being
defined but empty because of a configure problem.

Luke Tierney
University of Minnesota                      Phone:           612-625-7843
School of Statistics                         Fax:             612-624-8868
313 Ford Hall, 224 Church St. S.E.           email:      luke@stat.umn.edu
Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA                    WWW:  http://www.stat.umn.edu