[Rd] Graphics-Device-Size vs. Window-Size: R design flaw

Jens Oehlschlägel jens.oehlschlaegel@bbdo-interone.de
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:47:41 +0100

Hello Ross,

thank you for entering this discussion.

> Every version of Splus I've looked at (I've not seen 2000 yet) simply
> lied about the device size.  The device remains the size it
> was when it
> was created.  I presume that the rendering code just carries out a
> stretch of coordinates.  If you do the following
>
> 	par("din")
> 	# stretch the window with the mouse
> 	par("din")
>
> you'll see that there is no change.  As far as I could tell,
> the initial
> size of the device is used for ever.

Yes, and for me this behaviour would be great: you create a bigger than
screen device like DIN A3, you can see it at the screen at whatever
windowsize you want and it alway tells the truth about it's real size: DIN
A3. This TRUTH becomes a LIE only, if one considers representation layer and
presentation layer to be the same.

> The results of this are unfortunate when you are relying on having
> equal units in the x and y directions.  Drawing maps or displaying
> the results of some sort of ordination can be badly affected.  Also,
> there can be obviously incorrect drawing of tickmarks and annotation
> (this is usually only apparent for extreme reshaping).

This is where aspect ratio locking would help (for the whole device, not
only for the plot area).

> The philosophy in R is that when a window is resized, the graph should
> be redrawn so that it will appear as it would if it had been created
> in a window with the new size.

This makes it IMPOSSIBLE to work on a device bigger than the screen.

> If we are going to change the graphics, let's please throw the present
> system out completely.

If you are going to change graphics from scratch, PLEASE do use this
opportunity to really seperate representation layer from screen
presentation.

Regards

Jens

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"